"HYTHE, a parish, parliamentary and municipal borough, and cinque-port, in the hundred of the same name, lathe of Shepway, county Kent, 16 miles from Dover, 25 S. of Canterbury, and 75 from London by the South-Eastern Railway, which has a station here. It is situated on the Royal Military canal, near the river Limne, and at the end of the old Roman way called Stone Street. A passage boat plies daily between this place and Rye. ... More"
[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868 by Colin Hinson ©2010]
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Hythe to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which Hythe has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference TR162348 (Lat/Lon: 51.071789, 1.084716), Hythe which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)