"IFIELD, a parish in the hundred of Toltingtrough, lathe of Aylesford, county Kent, 2½ miles S.E. of Gravesend. Tho village, which is small, is usually called Shinglefield Street, and is situated on the line of the Roman road, traces of which are yet visible. The tithes have been commuted for a rent-charge of £149 1s. 6d. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Canterbury, value £120. The church, dedicated to St. Margaret, was rebuilt in 1596, and is the smallest in the diocese. It was repaired and a vestry added in 1838. There is a village school."
[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868 by Colin Hinson ©2010]