"KEMSING, a parish in the hundred of Codsheath, lathe of Sutton-at-Hone, county Kent, 3 miles N.E. of Sevenoaks, its post town and railway station. It is situated near the river Darent, under a range of chalk hills to the E. of Otford. It was formerly a market town, and had a castle built before the reign of Henry II., but is now a small agricultural village. Here is St. Edith's Holy Well, anciently supposed to possess miraculous efficacy. The land is chiefly in hops, and very productive. The impropriate tithes have been commuted for a rent-charge of £180, and the vicarial for £140. The living is a vicarage united with the curacy of Seal, in the diocese of Canterbury, value £396. The church, dedicated to St. Nicholas, is a stone structure with a shingle tower. The register dates from 1535. The church contains the brass of a priest bearing date 1320. The parochial charities consist of an endowment of £20 by Lady Smythe. There is a National school for boys and girls."
[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868 by Colin Hinson ©2010]