"KENARDINGTON, a parish in the hundred of Blackbourne, lathe of Scray, county Kent, 7 miles S.W. of Ashford, its post town, 6 E. of Tenterden, and 22 from Canterbury. The village, which is small, consisting of a few straggling houses, is situated on high ground, but the southern part of the parish is low, and within the level of Romney Marsh. The Military canal passes in the vicinity. Alfred the Great is supposed to have encamped here in 893, and there are some Danish earthworks. Coppice wood grows in large quantities, but the cultivated land is good arable and pasture. This manor was assigned by William the Conqueror as part of the lands for the defence of Dover Castle. The tithes have been commuted for a rent-charge of £200. The living is a rectory and vicarage in the diocese of Canterbury, value £114. The church, dedicated to St. Mary, is a small edifice built out of the ruins of a former one, which was much larger, and was destroyed by lightning in 1559. At the W. end is a small brick tower built in the last century, and containing one bell."
[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868 by Colin Hinson ©2010]