"KENNINGTON, a parish in the hundred of Chart, lathe of Shepway, county Kent, 12 miles S.W. of Canterbury, and 2 N. of Ashford, its post town. It is a small village, situated near the line of the Canterbury railway, and the river Stour. A portion of the inhabitants are engaged in the brick, tile, and lime works. The land is partly in hops. The impropriate tithes have been commuted for a rent-charge of £205, and the vicarial for £197 12s. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Canterbury, value £211, in the patronage of the archbishop. The church, dedicated to St. Mary, is an ancient structure, with a tower containing five bells. The register dates from 1671. There is a free school. The parochial charities produce about £7 per annum. An annual fair is held on 5th July."
[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868 by Colin Hinson ©2010]