"KINGSDOWN NEAR WROTHAM, a parish in the hundred of Axton, lathe of Sutton-at-Hone, county Kent, 3 miles N.W. of Wrotham, its post town, 7 S.W. of Dartford, and 5 S.E. of Farningham railway station. The village, which is considerable, is wholly agricultural. The land is partly in hops, but the greater part arable, with about 800 acres of coppice wood. The surface is diversified with hill and dale. The living is a rectory with the curacy of Mapiscombe annexed, value £382, in the diocese of Rochester, in the patronage of the dean and chapter. The church, situated in the centre of a wood, is dedicated to St. Edmund, and has a porch and one bell. The circular chancel of Mapiscombe church is still standing, though in ruins."
[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868 by Colin Hinson ©2010]