"KNOCKHOLT, a parish in the hundred of Ruxley, lathe of Sutton-at-Hone, county Kent, 5 miles N.W. of Sevenoaks, its post town, and 9 S.E. of Bromley. The village is situated on an eminence, and has a group of trees called the Knockholt Beeches, which may be seen from Blackheath, Harrow, &c. The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of Canterbury, value £120, in the patronage of the archbishop. The church is an ancient stone and flint building, with a tower containing a clock and two bells. It contains a painted window representing the Crucifixion. The register dates from 1548. The parochial charities produce about £10 per annum. There is a school for both sexes, endowed with £50 a year by the late Miss Thrale. The same lady was donor of £100, of which £25 per annum was to be given the incumbent. There is a place of worship for the Wesleyans."
[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868 by Colin Hinson ©2010]