"KNOWLTON, a parish in the hundred of Eastry, lathe of St. Augustine, county Kent, 5 miles S.W. of Sandwich, 10 S.E. of Canterbury, and the same distance N.W. of Dover. Wingham is its post town. It is a very small parish, and the soil is chiefly chalk. There is no village. The manor formerly belonged to Sir Cloudesley Shovell, to whom it came by marriage with the widow of Sir John Harborough, whose two sons were drowned with Sir Cloudesley when his vessel was wrecked off the Scilly Isles. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Canterbury, value £150. The church is a small edifice, dedicated to St. Clement. The principal residence is Knowlton Park, the seat of Admiral G. W. H. D'Aeth. It has an extensive and well wooded park, comprising an area of above 300 acres."
[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868 by Colin Hinson ©2010]