"LANGLEY, a parish in the hundred of Eyhorne, lathe of Aylesford, county Kent, 4½ miles S.E. of Maidstone, its post town, and 1½ mile N. of Sutton Valence. The village is small, and situated on the road from Maidstone to the S. The land is partly in hops. The parish is well wooded, and there is a small tract of heath. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Canterbury, value £390. The church, dedicated to St. Mary, is a modern structure, with a tower surmounted by a spire, and containing three bells. There is a National school, also a place of worship for Wesleyans. The Earl of Romney is lord of the manor and principal landowner."
[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868 by Colin Hinson ©2010]