"LEIGH, (or Lye), a parish in the hundreds of Codsheath and Somerden, lathe of Sutton-at-Hone, county Kent, 4 miles W. of Tonbridge, its post town, and 6 S. of Sevenoaks. There is a mineral spring possessing properties similar to those of Tunbridge Wells. The parish is intersected by the South-Eastern railway, which here passes through a deep cutting. The river Medway flows through the parish. The village, which is still considerable, though not of so much importance as formerly, is situated on the road from London to Penshurst. The surface is well wooded, and about 150 acres are in hops, and about 70 orchard grounds. The impropriate tithes have been commuted for a rent-charge of £555, and the vicarial for £51015s. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Canterbury, value £373. The church, dedicated to St. Mary, has recently been thoroughly restored, with the addition of a tower. It is of ancient construction, and had formerly a chantry, which was suppressed by Edward VI. The charities produce about £91 8s. per annum. There is a National school. Hall Place, the principal residence, is a mansion situated' in an extensive park abounding with deer. Thomas Farmer Baily, Esq., is lord of the manor."
[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868 by Colin Hinson ©2010]