"LEWISHAM, a parish in the hundred of Blackheath, lathe of Sutton-at-Hone, county Kent; 1 mile from Greenwich, and 6 miles S.E. of London. It has stations on the North Kent and Mid Kent railways. It is situated on the river Ravensbourne, and on the high road to Sevenoaks and Tonbridge. It was anciently written Levesham, signifying "the dwelling among the meadows." The parish, which is of large extent, contains the whole of Sydenham, Forest Hill, Brockley, Loampit Hill, Loat's Pit, and the greater portion of the hamlet of Blackheath. ... More "
[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868 by Colin Hinson ©2010]