"LEYSDOWN, a parish in the Isle of Sheppey, lathe of Scray, E. division of county Kent, 5 miles N. of Faversham, and 9 S.E. of Queenborough, its post town. The village, which is small, is situated on rising ground opposite Harty Island, overlooking the sea and the marshes. It is considered the most eastern village in the island. There is a ferry over the river Swale to the Faversham road; and at Shellness is a coastguard station and beacon commanding a view of the river Swale and Whitstable Bay. About two-thirds of the land is in pasture, the remainder arable, with only nine acres of woodland. The appropriate tithes have been commuted for a rent-charge of £394, and the vicarial for £265. The living is a vicarage with the perpetual curacy of Harty, in the diocese of Canterbury, value together £245 and £55, in the patronage of the archbishop. The church, dedicated to St. Clement, is a small modern edifice situated near the ruins of the old one. The parochial charities produce about 11 per annum. There is a National school. Captain Hilton is lord of the manor and principal landowner."
[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868 by Colin Hinson ©2010]