"LOWER HARDRES, a parish in the hundred of Bridge, county Kent, 3 miles S. of Canterbury, and 4 from the Chilham railway station. It is a small village, situated near the Roman road called Stone Street. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Canterbury, value £317, in the patronage of St. John's College, Oxford. The church, dedicated to St. Mary, was pulled down in 1831, and a new one erected, with a spire. The parochial charities are shared with Petham. There is a National school."
[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868 by Colin Hinson ©2010]