"LITTLE MONGEHAM, a parish in the hundred of Cornilo, lathe of St. Augustine, county Kent, half a mile W. of Great Mongeham, and 3½ miles W. by S. of Deal, its post town. The village is inconsiderable, and wholly agricultural. Little Mongeham was given by Aldric, King of Kent, to the monastery of St. Augustine, at Canterbury, in 760. The land is chiefly arable, with some hop-grounds and a few acres of meadow and woodland. The living is a discharged rectory in the diocese of Canterbury, value £350, in the patronage of the archbishop, with the perpetual curacy of Sutton consolidated in 1835. The church has long been in ruins, but the burial-ground is still used."
[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868 by Colin Hinson ©2010]