"LUDDENHAM, a parish in the hundred of Faversham, lathe of Scray, county Kent, 2 miles N.W. of Faversham, its post town, and 4½ E. of Sittingbourne. The Teynham station on the London, Dover, and Chatham line of railway is about 1½ mile W. of the village. It is situated near the river Swale. A large portion of the parish consists of marsh land, which to some extent has been drained and brought under cultivation. The tithes have been commuted for a rent-charge of £385 48. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Canterbury, value £394, in the patronage of the lord chancellor. The church, dedicated to St. Mary, is an ancient structure of stone and flint, with brick tower. The register commences in 1547. There is a parochial school."
[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868 by Colin Hinson ©2010]