"LULLINGSTONE, a parish in the hundred of Axton, lathe of Sutton-at-Hone, county Kent, 4½ miles E. of Farnborough, and 6 S. of Dartford, its post town. It is situated on the river Darent; and the Sevenoaks branch line of the London, Chatham, and Dover railway passes through the parish, the nearest station being at Eynsford, about 1 mile E. of the village, which consists of a cluster of farmhouses. Hops are cultivated, and the land is generally fertile. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Canterbury, value £350. The church, dedicated to St. Botolph, is an ancient edifice, with painted windows, rood-loft, &c. It contains;a brass and numerous monuments, some of ancient date, and stands in the grounds of Lullingstone Castle. At Lullingstone, which was formerly a distinct parish, there are ruins of a very ancient church, and a variety of Roman remains have been discovered. Shoreham Castle, a former seat of the Aldham family, stood in this neighbourhood. Lullingstone Castle is the residence of Sir P. H. Dyke, Bart., having successively been possessed by the Hart, Peche, and Rokesley families."
[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868 by Colin Hinson ©2010]