"LYDDEN, a parish in the hundred of Bewsborough, lathe of St. Augustine, county Kent, 4 miles N.W. of Dover, its post town, and 8 S.W. of Deal. The Shepherd's Well station, on the Dover line of railway, is about 2 miles N.W. of the village. It is situated in a vale between hills of chalk, on the old Roman highway, and the main road between Canterbury and Dover passes through it. Several springs have their rise here, which form a body of water known as Lydden Spout, and which, after pursuing an underground course, empties itself into the sea in the neighbourhood of Folkestone. The parish is well wooded, and there is a considerable proportion of meadow and pasture. The Archbishop of Canterbury is impropriator of the great tithes. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Canterbury, value £130, in the patronage of the archbishop. The church, dedicated to St. Mary, is a modern structure with tower at the W. end. An old residence of the Moning family, called Swanton Court, is now a farm."
[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868 by Colin Hinson ©2010]