"LYNSTED, (or Linstead), a parish in the hundred of Teynham, lathe of Scray, county Kent, 3 miles S.E. of Sittingbourne, its post town, 5 S.W. of Faversham, and 1½ mile from the Teynham railway station. The village is extensive but chiefly agricultural. A large portion of the land is arable, with a considerable extent of hop-grounds and orchards. The hamlet of Green Street is situated in the northern part of the parish. The impropriation belongs to the Archdeacon of Canterbury. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Canterbury, value £216, in the patronage of the archdeacon. The church, dedicated to SS. Peter and Paul, has two mortuary chapels belonging to the Teynham and Hugessen families. It has a memorial window inserted at the expense of Colonel Tyler. Tithes were commuted in 1839. There is a parochial school for both sexes. Linstead Lodge, situated about 1 mile E. of the village, is the principal residence, and is at present the seat of Colonel Tyler, who is lord of the manor. A fair is held on the 1st May for horses and cattle."
[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868 by Colin Hinson ©2010]