"MARDEN, a parish in the hundred of Marden, lathe of Scray, county Kent, 3 miles N.W. of Staplehurst, its post town, and 7 S.W. of Maidstone. It is a station on the SouthEastern railway. It is an extensive agricultural village, and was formerly a market town. The land is partly in hop grounds. The impropriation belongs to the Archbishop of Canterbury. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Canterbury, value £828, in the patronage of the archbishop. The church, dedicated to St. Michael, is of great antiquity, with a square tower containing six bells. The interior of the church contains a very antique font bearing date 1652. The register dates from 1559. The parochial charities produce about £55 per annum, exclusive of the endowment of Sir C. Booth's school. There are parochial schools for both sexes, also infant schools erected in 1859 by voluntary contributions. The Independents and Wesleyans have each a place of worship. Richard Springett, Esq., is lord of the manor."
[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868 by Colin Hinson ©2010]