"MARGATE, a parish, seaport, market town, municipal borough and watering-place, in the parish of St. John's, hundred of Ringslow and Isle of Thanet, lathe of St. Augustine, county Kent, 15 miles N.E. by E. of Canterbury, and 72 S.E. of London. It has stations on the South-Eastern, and London, Chatham, and Dover railways; also, a branch line to Ramsgate. Steamboats run to London, Gravesend, Herne-Bay, Ramsgate, and Tilbury. Its name was originally Hergate, or Meregate, signifying an opening or gate into the sea, the town being built in a hollow or break in the cliffs. ... More"
[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868 by Colin Hinson ©2010]