"MILTON-NEXT-GRAVESEND, a parish in the hundred of Toltingtrough, lathe of Aylesford, county Kent, adjoining Gravesend, within which borough it is included. It was incorporated by charter with Gravesend in the tenth year of the reign of Elizabeth, and is more important both in extent and population than the parish of Gravesend itself, comprising an area of 703 acres, with a population in 1861 of 10,887, the whole population of the borough being 18,039. It is a watering-place on the Thames, and has increased very much of late years, having direct communication with London by the North Kent and London and Southend railways, which latter has a station at New Tilbury, on the Essex shore, where the steamboats meet the trains. It contains many of the best houses in Gravesend,-the custom house, fort, literary institution, and Royal Terrace pier, opened in 1845 at a cost of £9,200. ... The living is a rectory in the diocese of Rochester, value £270, in the patronage of the lord chancellor and the bishop alternately. The parish church, dedicated to SS. Peter and Paul, is an ancient structure of the 15th century, situated about a mile from the town on the Dover road, and shaded by a clump of trees on the W. In addition to the parish church are the following district churches, viz: Holy Trinity and Christ Church, the livings of which are perpetual curacies, value £150 and £100 respectively. Holy Trinity church was erected in 1845 at a cost of £4,639, and has a district assigned to it as a separate parish for ecclesiastical purposes under Sir Robert Peel's Act. Christ Church is a modern edifice built in 1852 on land presented by the Earl of Darnley, adjoining the London Road. There is besides, the Proprietary chapel of St. John the Evangelist, in the Milton Road, erected in 1834 at a cost of £7,000. There are places of worship for Independents, Wesleyans, Baptists, and Roman Catholics. The free grammar school, founded in 1580 and re-endowed by David Varchell, was united with the National schools in 1834. The almshouses, situated in King-street, accommodate about 30 aged persons, but are unendowed. ... The West Kent hounds are kennelled here. The river, besides being the constant resort of merchantmen and a chief pilot station, is a great yacht station. ..."
[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868 by Colin Hinson ©2010]