Minster in Sheppey
"MINSTER-IN-SHEPPEY, a parish in the Isle of Sheppey, lathe of Scray, county Kent, 3 miles E. of Queensborough, and 3 S.E. of Sheerness, which township it includes, though the port of Sheerness enjoys an independent jurisdiction.".... More.
"SHEERNESS, a parochial chapelry, market town, seaport, and naval arsenal of the second rank, having separate jurisdiction, but locally in the parish of Minster in Sheppey and liberty of the Isle of Sheppey, upper division of the lathe of Scray, county Kent, 17 miles N.E. of Maidstone, and 46 S.E. of London, or 514 by the Sheerness branch of the London, Chatham, and Dover railway. It has also steamboat communication with London, Chatham, and other places, by means of the Medway Company's steamers. It is situated on the N.W. point of the Isle of Sheppey, at the conflux of the Medway, or West Swale, with the Thames, and nearly opposite the Nore light." .... More
[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868 by Colin Hinson ©2010]
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Minster in Sheppey to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which Minster in Sheppey has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference TQ956730 (Lat/Lon: 51.422252, 0.811921), Minster in Sheppey which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)