"MONKS HORTON, a parish in the hundred of Stouting, lathe of Shepway, county Kent, 5 miles N.W. of Hythe. The village, which is small and wholly agricultural, is situated near the London, Chatham, and Dover railway. Here are remains of a Cluniac priory, founded in the reign of Henry II., subordinate to the priory of Lewes. Its revenue at the Dissolution was valued at £111 16s. 11d. The tithes have been commuted for a rent-charge of £137. The living is a discharged rectory consolidated with the vicarage of Brabourne. The church, dedicated to St. Peter, is an ancient structure containing several monuments and tombs of the Robinsons of Mount Morris, the seat of Lord Rokeby, where Mrs. Montague spent her youth."
[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868 by Colin Hinson ©2010]