"MONKTON, a parish in the Isle of Thanet and hundred of Ringslow, lathe of St. Augustine, county Kent, 7 miles W. of Ramsgate, its post town, and 2½ N.W. of the Minster railway station on the South-Eastern line. The village, which is small and straggling, is situated on the river Stour, and is wholly agricultural. It was formerly a market town, and was given by Queen Ediva to Canterbury Cathedral in 961. About two-thirds of the land is arable, and the remainder marshland pasture. The appropriate tithes have been commuted for a rent-charge of £709, and the vicarial for £340. The living is a vicarage with the curacies of Birchington and Acol annexed, in the diocese of Canterbury, value £672, in the patronage of the archbishop. The church, dedicated to St. Mary Magdalene, is an ancient structure with a tower containing three bells. The interior of the church contains a brass of a priest, bearing date 1430. The parochial charities produce about £20 per annum. There is a free school. Near the church are ruins of a priory. Fairs are held on the 22nd July and 11th October for toys and pedlery."
[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868 by Colin Hinson ©2010]