"MURSTON, a parish in the hundred of Milton, upper division of the lathe of Scray, county Kent, three-quarters of a mile from Sittingbourne, its post town, 1 mile S.E. of Milton, and 5 miles S. of Queenborough. The village, which is of small extent, is situated on the river Swale, opposite Sheppey. There is a ferry over the river to Elmley. Near the village is a quay and numerous docks on the Creek. There are extensive brick kilns in the parish. A large portion of the land is moory, and about 60 acres are in orchards. The tithes have been commuted for a rent-charge of £615. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Canterbury, value £539, in the patronage of St. John's College, Cambridge. The church is a small ancient structure, dedicated to All Saints, with a square western tower and wooden turret. The parochial charities produce about £4 per annum, which goes towards the support of Housson's school."
[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868 by Colin Hinson ©2010]