"NACKINGTON, a parish in the hundred of Bridge, lathe of St. Augustine, county Kent, 2½ miles S.W. of Canterbury, its post town. The village, which is inconsiderable, is situated on the line of the ancient Stane Street, and is wholly agricultural. The land is partly in hop-grounds. The parish is of small extent, comprising only 887 acres, of which the greater part is arable, with about 90 acres of woodland. The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of Canterbury, value £52, in the patronage of the archbishop. The church is dedicated to St. Mary. Lord Sondes is lord of the manor and principal landowner."
[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868 by Colin Hinson ©2010]