"NEWCHURCH, a parish in the liberty of Romney-Marsh, but locally in the hundred of Newchurch, lathe of Shepway, county Kent, 5 miles N. of New Romney, its post town, and 4 S.E. of the Ham Street railway station. The village, which is small, is wholly agricultural. The Royal Military canal passes within a mile and a half. The tithes have been commuted for a rent-charge of £632. The living is a rectory and vicarage in the diocese of Canterbury, value £450, in the patronage of the archbishop. The church, dedicated to SS. Peter and Paul, is a stone structure with an embattled tower containing five bells. The register dates from 1684. The parochial charities consist of Finche's annuity of £25 for six poor men. There is a National school."
[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868 by Colin Hinson ©2010]