"NEWINGTON-NEXT-HYTHE, a parish in the hundred of Folkestone, lathe of Shepway, county Kent, 2½ miles N.E. of Hythe, its post town, and 3½ N.W. of Folkestone. The village, which is irregularly built, is situated in Romney-Marsh, on the Military canal, and near the line of the South-Eastern railway. It is watered by two clear streams. The inhabitants are chiefly engaged in agriculture. Hops are extensively grown. From an eminence near Beachborough House is an extensive prospect over the country, and across the Channel to the coast of France. The impropriate tithes have been commuted for a rent-charge of £490, and the vicarial for £235. The living is a vicarage annexed to the rectory of Cheriton, in the diocese of Canterbury. The church, dedicated to St. Nicholas, is an embattled structure, with a lofty square tower containing five bells. The interior of the church contains four brasses, the oldest, that of a woman, bearing date 1480, and another, of a priest, 1501. The parochial charities produce about £4 per annum. There is an infant school. Near the village are traces of entrenchments, where Roman coins, beads of agate, pebbles, glass, coral, and other remains have been found. There are now no remains of the ancient chapel of St. Nicholas, once famous for the resort of fishermen to present offerings at the shrine of their patron saint after escaping shipwreck."
[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868 by Colin Hinson ©2010]