"NEWNHAM, a parish in the hundred of Faversham, lathe of Scray, county Kent, 7 miles S.E. of Sittingbourne, its post town, and 5 S.W. of Faversham railway station. The village, which is of small extent, is wholly agricultural. It is situated on the road from Maidstone to Faversham. A portion of the land is in hop-grounds. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Canterbury, value £180. The church, dedicated to SS. Peter and Paul, is an ancient structure, containing a mural table to the Hulse family. There is a place of worship for the Independents. The Right Hon. S. R. Lushington is lord of the manor."
[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868 by Colin Hinson ©2010]