"NONINGTON, a parish in the hundred of Wingham, lathe of St. Augustine, county Kent, 6 miles S.W. of Sandwich, 9 S.E. of Canterbury, and 4 S. by E. of Wingham, its post town. The village is wholly agricultural. The land is partly in hop grounds and the soil is of a chalky nature. The London, Chatham, and Dover railway passes through the parish. The appropriate tithes belonging to the archbishop have been commuted for a rent-charge of £600, and the incumbent for £250, besides £170 belonging to a lay impropriator. The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of Canterbury, value £176, in the patronage of the archbishop. The church, dedicated to St. Mary, is an ancient structure with a tower. The interior of the church contains tombs of the Hammonds of St. Alban's. The charities are of small amount. There is a National school for both sexes. St. Alban's Court, so called from having been anciently a cell to the abbey of St. Alban's, contains a valuable collection of paintings."
[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868 by Colin Hinson ©2010]