"NORTHFLEET, a parish in the hundred of Toltingtrough, lathe of Aylesford, county Kent, 2 miles W. of Gravesend, its post town, and 20 E. of London by road, or 22 by railway. It is a station on the North Kent railway, and a steamboat leaves Rosherville pier in connection with the Tilbury line. This place was probably a Roman station, and is mentioned in Domesday Survey. It is situated on the Thames, near Northfleet Creek, and formerly belonged to the archbishops of Canterbury. The parish includes the hamlet of Lower Perry Street and the village of Rosherville, recently formed into a district parish, with the gardens of Rosherville, which are frequented by a large number of visitors during the summer season. The neighbourhood abounds with chalk and lime pits, of which there are very extensive works. Stone Bridge, which was very ancient, has been rebuilt in a line with the London road. ... There is a large yard for shipbuilding, and a dock excavated in the solid chalk, also large works for the manufacture of Parker's Roman cement. The impropriate tithes have been commuted for a rent-charge of £683, and the vicarial for £600. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Rochester, value £400, in the patronage of the crown. The church, dedicated to St. Botolph, has been restored in the present century. It is an ancient structure, ... and said to be the largest parish church in the county. It contains ... and several brasses, one of which is to Peter de Lacy, a priest, who was buried in leather, bearing date 1375, and another monument of more modern date, of alabaster, to the memory of E. Browne, physician to Charles, II. In the churchyard is an obelisk with a representation of Huggins College in alto-relievo, on the E. and W. sides. The Independents and Wesleyans have each a place of worship. There are National schools both here and at Rosherville, also British schools with a small endowment. A college for decayed gentry has been erected near Stone Bridge; the building consists of 40 residences, including a chapel with a slender spire. Each pensioner receives £1 per week in addition to his lodging. This institution is under the superintendence of John Huggins, Esq., of Sittingbourne, by whom it was built. At Grays Reach is a pier of new formation near 1½ mile in length. It is situated at the bend of the river where the East India Company's ships used to anchor. Fairs are held on the 24th March, and on Easter and Whit Tuesdays."
[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868 by Colin Hinson ©2010]