"NURSTED, a parish in the hundred of Toltingtrough, lathe of Aylesford, county Kent, 4 miles S. of Gravesend, its post town, 24 S.E. of London, and half a mile from the Meopham railway station. The village, which is inconsiderable, was formerly called Newstead, and was the property of Odo Bishop of Bayeux. The land is partly in hop grounds. Part of the old hall is still remaining, with its oak roof and windows, and the ruins of a keep. The tithes have been commuted for a rent-charge of £173 8s. 6d. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Rochester, value £140. The church, dedicated to St. Mildred, is a small structure, with a square western tower containing one bell."
[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868 by Colin Hinson ©2010]