"OARE, (or Ore), a parish in the hundred of Faversham, lathe of Scray, county Kent, 2 miles N.W. of Faversham, its railway station and post town. The village, which is of small extent, is situated on the river Swale, over which is a ferry to the Isle of Harty. It is a coastguard station, with a staff of 25 men. The oyster beds are very productive. The tithes have been commuted for a rent-charge of £219. The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of Canterbury, value £103, in the patronage of the archbishop. The church, dedicated to St. Peter, is a small ancient structure, built of flint and stone, with a wooden tower. The register dates from 1714. There is a parochial school, also a Sunday-school. Gerard Gosselin, Esq., is lord of the manor."
[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868 by Colin Hinson ©2010]