"OLD ROMNEY, a parish in the cinque port and liberty of New Romney, lathe of Shepway, county Kent, 2 miles N.W. of New Romney. The town had a good haven in the Saxon times, but was a decayed place prior to the Conquest, and shortly after was superseded in its maritime privileges and prosperity by New Romney. The greater part of the land is rich marsh pasture, except about 200 acres, which are arable. There was formerly a cell subordinate to the abbey of Pountney, or Pontignac, in France, also a hospital for lepers, founded by Adam de Chorring, and subsequently converted into a chantry, which in 1481 became annexed to the college of St. Mary Magdalene, in Oxford. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Canterbury, value £246, in the patronage of the archbishop. The church, dedicated to St. Clement, is an ancient edifice, with a spired tower containing three bells. The interior of the church has been recently restored: it contains some brasses, one of which is to J. Ips."
[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868 by Colin Hinson ©2010]