"PADDLESWORTH, a parish in the hundred of Loningborough, lathe of Shepway, county Kent, 4 miles N.W. of the Folkestone railway station, and 3 from Hythe, its post town. It is small, having no village, but only a few scattered houses. The tithes have been commuted for a rent-charge of £90. The living is a curacy annexed to the vicarage and rectory of Lyminge, in the diocese of Canterbury. The church, dedicated to St. Oswald, is a small ancient edifice. The parochial charities consist of a share with Lyminge. David Brice, Esq., is lord of the manor."
[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868 by Colin Hinson ©2010]