"PEMBURY, a parish in the hundred of Washlingstone, lathe of Aylesford, county Kent, 4 miles S.E. of Tonbridge, its post town, and 3 N.E. of the Wells. The village, which is large, is wholly agricultural. The land is partly in common and wood, with some hop grounds. The Tonbridge union poor-house is in this parish. The living is a vicarage with the curacy of Trinity annexed, in the diocese of Canterbury, value £353. The church, dedicated to St. Peter, is an ancient structure, with a modern gallery, and contains several tombs and the brass of a woman. Its distance from the populated part of the parish is about 1½ mile, in consequence of which a new church has been erected in the southern part of the parish on a site presented by the Marquis of Camden. This church, likewise dedicated to St. Peter, has a tower crowned with a spire. The parochial charities produce about £70 per annum, part of which goes to the vicar, and part to the almshouses for six blind persons. There is a National school. Kennards and Grovehurst are the principal residences. The Marquis of Camden is lord of the manor and principal landowner."
[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868 by Colin Hinson ©2010]