"PLUCKLEY, a parish in the hundred of Calehill, lathe of Shepway, county Kent, 6 miles E. of Ashford, its post town, 3 S.W. of Charing, and 19 S.W. of Canterbury. It is a station on the South-Eastern railway. The village, which is small, is wholly agricultural. The parish comprises the old parish of Pevington, and the hamlets of Malmains, Shurland, &c. The land is partly in hop grounds. The tithes have been commuted for a rent-charge of £700, and the glebe comprises 34 acres. The living is a rectory with that of Pevington annexed, in the diocese of Canterbury, value £595, in the patronage of the archbishop. The church, dedicated to St. Nicholas, was built by the Pluckleys in the reign of Henry II., and has a tower containing six bells. The interior of the church contains tombs, and three brasses, of the Derings of Surrenden-Dering, bearing date from 1490. The register dates from 1566. The charities produce about £17 a-year. There is a National school for both sexes. A fair is held on Whit-Tuesday for toys and pedlery, also a fair for cattle and swine on 6th December."
[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868 by Colin Hinson ©2010]
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Pluckley to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which Pluckley has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference TQ925453 (Lat/Lon: 51.174529, 0.752462), Pluckley which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)