"PRESTON-NEXT-FAVERSHAM, a parish in the hundred of Faversham, upper division of the lathe of Scray, county Kent, 1½ mile S. of Faversham. The village, which is considerable, has of late years been much improved. Some of the inhabitants are employed in the oyster fishery. About two-thirds of the land are arable, and the remainder pasture, woodland, and waste. The impropriation belongs to the Dean and Chapter of Canterbury, who enjoy a portion of the rectorial tithes. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Canterbury, value £324, in the patronage of the archbishop. The church, dedicated to St. Catherine, is an ancient structure, with a small tower at the E. end of the S. aisle. On the N. side of the chancel is an altar-tomb of the Boyles, ancestors of the earls of Cork, also several sepulchral brasses of, the Bacet family, one bearing date 1442. Preston House is the principal seat."
"BRENT-TOWN, a hamlet in the parish of Preston next Faversham, hundred of Faversham, lathe of Scray, in the county of Kent, near Faversham."
"DAVINGTDN HILL, a hamlet in the parish of Preston-next-Faversham, hundred of Faversham, lathe of Scray, in the county of Kent, 1 mile from Davington, as above."
[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868 by Colin Hinson ©2010]