Preston / Preston-Next-Faversham
"PRESTON-NEXT-FAVERSHAM, a parish in the hundred of Faversham, upper division of the lathe of Scray, county Kent, 1½ mile S. of Faversham. The village, which is considerable, has of late years been much improved. Some of the inhabitants are employed in the oyster fishery. About two-thirds of the land are arable, and the remainder pasture, woodland, and waste. The impropriation belongs to the Dean and Chapter of Canterbury, who enjoy a portion of the rectorial tithes. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Canterbury, value £324, in the patronage of the archbishop. The church, dedicated to St. Catherine, is an ancient structure, with a small tower at the E. end of the S. aisle. On the N. side of the chancel is an altar-tomb of the Boyles, ancestors of the earls of Cork, also several sepulchral brasses of, the Bacet family, one bearing date 1442. Preston House is the principal seat."
"BRENT-TOWN, a hamlet in the parish of Preston next Faversham, hundred of Faversham, lathe of Scray, in the county of Kent, near Faversham."
"DAVINGTDN HILL, a hamlet in the parish of Preston-next-Faversham, hundred of Faversham, lathe of Scray, in the county of Kent, 1 mile from Davington, as above."
[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868 by Colin Hinson ©2010]
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Preston / Preston-Next-Faversham to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which Preston / Preston-Next-Faversham has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference TR016607 (Lat/Lon: 51.309695, 0.891133), Preston / Preston-Next-Faversham which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)