"PRESTON, a parish in the hundred of Preston, lathe of St. Augustine, county Kent, 2 miles N. of Wingham, its post town, and 9 N.E. of Canterbury. The village, which is of small extent, is situated on an eminence near the river Stour. It is wholly agricultural. Above half the land is arable, and the remainder pasture, hop grounds, and waste. The impropriation belongs to the Dean and Chapter of Canterbury. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Canterbury, value £399, in the patronage of the dean and chapter. The church, dedicated to St. Mildred, or St. Michael, has an ancient tower at the W. end. The interior of the church contains two brasses, the one to V. Bacet bearing date. 1412. The church was thoroughly restored in 1857. The register dates from 1558. The parochial charities produce about £5 per annum, besides 33 acres to the vicar. There is a parochial school for both sexes, which is supported by voluntary contributions."
[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868 by Colin Hinson ©2010]