"RAMSGATE, a parish, seaport, watering-place, post and market town, in the hundred of Ringslow, or Isle of Thanet, lathe of St. Augustine, county Kent, 4 miles S. of Margate, and 17 N.E. of Canterbury. It is a station on the Margate branch of the South-Eastern railway. The town is a watering-place situated on the cliffs opening southward to the sea, and commands extensive marine and land views, embracing Pegwell Bay, and the Downs, and in clear weather, the French coast. The parish, which includes the hamlet of Ellington, was part of St. Lawrence parish up to 1827, when it was constituted a distinct parish by Act of Parliament. It is a member of Sandwich Cinque Port, a coastguard station, and a polling-place for East Kent. ... More"
[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868 by Colin Hinson ©2010]