"RIPPLE, a parish in the hundred of Cornilo, lathe of St. Augustine, county Kent, 2½ miles S.W. of Deal, its post town, and 7 N. of Dover. The village, which is of small extent, is wholly agricultural. There is a Roman camp in this parish, supposed to have been thrown up by Cæsar in his route from the sea to his principal camp on Barham Down. The surface is undulating, and the soil chiefly clay and chalk. The tithes have been commuted for a rent-charge of £260, and the glebe comprises 10 acres. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Canterbury, value £201. The church, dedicated to St. Mary, was rebuilt in 1861, near the site of the former one, and has a tower containing two bells. In the churchyard are two yew trees. The charities consist of two almshouses. Ripple Vale is the principal residence."
[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868 by Colin Hinson ©2010]