"ROCHESTER, comprising the parishes of St. Nicholas, and St. Margaret, a city, market town, municipal and parliamentary borough, locally situated in the lathe of Aylesford, county Kent, 8 miles Prom Gravesend, 26 N.W. of Canterbury, and 29 from London by road, or 30 by the North Kent railway, and 33 by the London, Chatham, and Dover line. It is situated on the right bank of the Medway, about 15 miles from the Nore, and is a place of considerable trade, having Sheerness and Maidstone as subports. On the land side it is sheltered by a range of chalk hills, rising almost perpendicularly from the river, which is here crossed by an iron bridge, connecting this town with Strood, on the left bank of the Medway. The borough, as extended by the Reform Act, includes, besides the two parishes forming the City of Rochester, parts of Chatham, Frindsbury, and Strood. These places, being all immediately adjacent, form as it were one continuous town, though differing widely in appearance, and each having many objects of interest, requiring separate notice under their several heads. ... More"
[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868 by Colin Hinson ©2010]