"ROLVENDEN, a parish and post town in the hundred of Rolvenden, lathe of Scray, county Kent, 3 miles S.W. of Tenterden, and the same distance N. of Newenden. The village, which is considerable, is situated in a healthy spot, and in the neighbourhood are many well-built residences. A portion of the land is in hop grounds. The soil consists of clay and loam. The appropriate tithes have been commuted for a rent-charge of £558, the vicarial for £43 10s., and the glebe comprises 8 acres. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Canterbury, value £104, in the patronage of the Dean and Chapter of Rochester. The church, dedicated to St. Mary, is an ancient stone structure, with a lofty tower containing eight bells. The interior of the church contains a font, tablets to the Gybbon and Monypenny families, and a brass inscription bearing (late 1444. The chancel has a painted window, the gift of Major Willcock in 1848. The register dates from Henry VIII.'s time. The parochial charities produce about £158 per annum, of which £141 goes towards Gibbon's school. The Wesleyans and Unitarians have each a place of worship. F. Morrison, Esq., is lord of the manor and chief landowner."
[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868 by Colin Hinson ©2010]