"RUCKINGE, a parish in the hundred of Newchurch, lathe of Shepway, county Kent, 7 miles S.E. of Ashford, its post town, and 1 mile from Ham Street railway station. The village, which is of small extent, is situated near the Military canal, and at Ruckinge Bridge is a commodious wharf. It is noticed in Domesday Survey as Rocinge and Rocking. The survey is hilly, and the uplands command views of the whole of Romney Marsh and of the sea from Hythe to Winchelsea. The soil is of a loamy nature, and very fertile. Half the land is in meadow and pasture, the remainder being arable and woodland, with about 18 acres of hop-ground. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Canterbury, value £291, in the patronage of the archbishop. The church, dedicated to St. Mary Magdalene, is an ancient stone edifice, with a tower containing five bells. The parochial charities produce about £1 per annum. There is a parochial school, which is held at the church. The Wesleyans have a place of worship."
[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868 by Colin Hinson ©2010]