"SANDHURST, a parish in the hundred of Selbrittenden, lower division of Scray lathe, county Kent, 7 miles S.E. of Cranbrook, 7 S.W. of Tenterden, and 6 N.E. of Etchingham railway station. Staplehurst is its post town. The village, which is large, is chiefly agricultural. It is situated on the river Rother, which divides this parish from the county of Sussex. The land is partly in hop grounds and common. The tithes have been commuted for a rent-charge of £880, and the glebe comprises 9 acres. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Canterbury, value £613, in the patronage of the archbishop. The church, dedicated to St. Nicholas, is an ancient structure, with a tower containing five bells. The register dates from 1563. The parochial charities produce about £6 per annum. There are National and British schools. The Wesleyans and Baptists have each a place of worship. Downgate is the principal residence. A fair is held on 25th May for cattle and pedlary."
[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868 by Colin Hinson ©2010]