"SANDWICH, comprises the parishes of St. Peter, St. Clement, and St. Mary; it is a cinque port, market town, and municipal and parliamentary borough in the hundred of Eastry, lathe of St. Augustine, county Kent, 12 miles E. of Canterbury, and 68 S.E. of London by road, or 98 miles by the South-Eastern railway, which has a station here. It is situated on the flats or marsh lands of the Stour, about 2 miles from the sea at Pegwell Bay, between Ramsgate and Deal. The town has always been of importance, and is associated with many historical events of interest. ... More"
[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868 by Colin Hinson ©2010]