"SARRE, a village locally in the hundred of Ringslow, or Isle of Thanet, lathe of St. Augustine, county Kent, 8 miles S.W. of Margate, its post town, 8½ N.E. of Canterbury, and 2 N.E. of Grove Ferry railway station. The village, which is small, derives its name from an ancient ford on the river Stour, which at low water was passable from the Isle of Thanet to the mainland. It is situated on the South-Eastern railway, and on the road from Canterbury to Ramsgate. It once carried on a considerable trade, and still belongs to Sandwich cinque port, but declined on the failure of the river Wantsune. It was formerly a parish designated in old documents St. Giles at Serre, but now forms part of St. Nicholas, Sandwich. The inhabitants are chiefly engaged in agricultural pursuits."
[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868 by Colin Hinson ©2010]