"SEAL, a parish in the hundred of Codsheath, lathe of Sutton-at-Hone, county Kent, 2 miles N.E. of Sevenoaks, its railway station and post town, and 25 S.E. of London. The village, which is large, is situated on the Godstone and Maidstone high road. The manor was formerly held by William de Bryene, the Bethunes, Marshalls, Bigods, and other families of distinction. The land is partly in hop grounds. The surface is varied with hill and dale. The soil is of a sandy and loamy nature, with clay in places. There are quarries of ragstone, and a fine sand for glass-making is found in juxtaposition with veins of ironstone. The impropriate tithes have been commuted for a rent-charge of £152, and the vicarial for one of £458. The living is a curacy annexed to the vicarage of Kemsing, in the diocese of Canterbury. The church, dedicated to St. Peter, has a tower containing five bells. The interior of the church contains monuments of the Bickerstaffes and Theobalds, also a full-length brass of De Bryene, bearing date 1395. The register dates from 1655. The parochial charities produce about £4 per annum. There is a National school for both sexes, built in 1861, besides a school at Godden Green, also a library and reading-room. The Wesleyans have a place of worship. This neighbourhood is studded with residences, among which are Wilderness Park, the seat of Marquess Camden, and Chart Lodge. A fair is held on the Wednesday in Whitsun week."
[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868 by Colin Hinson ©2010]