"SELLINGE, (or Sellindge), a parish in the hundred of Street, lathe of Shepway, county Kent, 6 miles S.E. of Ashford, 5 N.W. of Hythe, and 2 E. of Sneeth station. The village, which is of small extent, is situated on the river Stour, in Romney Marsh. The line of the South-Eastern railway passes through the parish. The inhabitants are chiefly engaged in agriculture. The land is nearly evenly divided between arable and pasture, with some woodland and marsh. The appropriate tithes, belonging to the Archbishop of Canterbury, have been commuted for a rent-charge of £400, and the vicarial for £191, and the glebe comprises 19 acres. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Canterbury, value £176. The church, dedicated to St. Mary, is an ancient stone structure, with a low square tower containing five bells. The interior of the church contains several monuments and memorial windows. The register dates from 1559. The parochial charities produce about £73 per annum. There is a National school for both sexes."
[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868 by Colin Hinson ©2010]