"SELLING, (or Sellyng), a parish in the hundred of Boughton-under-Blean, upper division of Scray lathe, county Kent, 4 miles S. of Faversham, its post town, and 6½ W. of Canterbury. It is a station on the London, Chatham, and Dover railway. The village, which is of small extent, is situated on an eminence. On Shottington Hill in this parish, is an ancient fortification, supposed to be a Roman camp, covering an area of about 2 acres, and near it is a tumulus. The inhabitants are chiefly engaged in agriculture. The land is partly in hop grounds, garden, and orchard, but the greater part is arable. The surface is wooded, and the soil fertile. The great tithes, belonging to Lord Sondes, have been commuted for a rent-charge of £810, and the vicarial for one of £357. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Canterbury, value £357. The church, dedicated to St. Mary, is an ancient structure. It contains several monuments, also a stained E. window. Luton House, Selling Court, and Woodlands are the principal residences."
[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868 by Colin Hinson ©2010]